OLD SITE

You're currently viewing the old version of the GameGrin site as this article hasn't yet been moved to our new site.

Visit the new site at www.gamegrin.com

New Steam Feature - Family Sharing

Just when you thought Steam couldn't get any better, Valve and gone and upped the ante once again.

With the release of the new Trading Offers a matter of days ago, Valve have announced a brand-new feature that will be making its way to everyone's favourite digi distribution platform.

The new feature is called Steam Family Sharing and does pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. Allowing close friends and family to share their Steam Library with one another, it also lets you still earn individual achievements and save your personal progress on Steam's Cloud system.

The feature will be available on a limited beta which you can sign-up for by joining the Family Sharing group on the Steam Community.

For a more in-depth look at the feature, as well as some Frequently Asked Questions you can head on over to the info page here.

Emseypenguin | 12th September, 2013
Rasher's picture
Wooohooo yes

No Kris, I will not add you as a friend on Steam
Ewok's picture
Everyone will want to share with Rash, since he owns the Steam library.
Kaostic's picture
Tbh, this won't change a lot for me. I like the idea (and yes, I liked the idea when Microsoft did a variation on it for the Xbone) but I would still much prefer to own my own games. It would be good if there's a game that you've been wanting to try but not sure whether you'll like it or not but I can't see myself sharing somebodies library for more than a few games, for a few hours.
Gunner002's picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
Tbh, this won't change a lot for me. I like the idea (and yes, I liked the idea when Microsoft did a variation on it for the Xbone) but I would still much prefer to own my own games. It would be good if there's a game that you've been wanting to try but not sure whether you'll like it or not but I can't see myself sharing somebodies library for more than a few games, for a few hours.
This really, was thinking of sharing with a buddy of mine. But until the steambox really becomes a thing in the living room I don't see this having wide use other than friends using other friends accounts to find out if a game is shite or not.
Sikopathic's picture
I Liked it untill I saw this



Basically, If Jess Uses this to play Assassins Creed II, and I want to Play BioShock, I won't be able to without it Kicking her off. So basically This is giving someone access to your entire library for one game and you can't do anything untill they stop playing that one game.
Beanz's picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
Basically, If Jess Uses this to play Assassins Creed II, and I want to Play BioShock, I won't be able to without it Kicking her off.
You're complaining about gaining another method of annoying Jess?!

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
Ewok's picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
I Liked it untill I saw this



Basically, If Jess Uses this to play Assassins Creed II, and I want to Play BioShock, I won't be able to without it Kicking her off. So basically This is giving someone access to your entire library for one game and you can't do anything untill they stop playing that one game.
I think the person borrowing gets a warning that you've logged in and has a couple of minutes to wrap up, save etc.

Sounds good to me on the whole. I'm always getting recommended games by mates and it would be nice to have the chance to try them through their accounts first, rather than take the plunge blind.
Kaostic's picture
The thing that Smile has mentioned will also avoid people buying one copy of the game and just playing that with all their friends.
Betty_Swallocks's picture
I can see that they wouldn't want to have multiple people playing the same game from a library but it's a bit lame that my daughter can't play Dead Rising on my account while I play Euro Truck Simulator. It definitely reduces it's usefulness.

Other items from around the web