OLD SITE

You're currently viewing the old version of the GameGrin site as this article hasn't yet been moved to our new site.

Visit the new site at www.gamegrin.com

Diablo 3 Preview

It’s been 12 years since the release of Diablo 2, the classic RSI inducing dungeon crawler from Blizzard. Pitting ourselves against hordes of demons and undead foes, the game has entertained millions for over a decade.

Diablo 3

However there is no rest for the wicked, or the worn out clicking fingers as here we are on the cusp of venturing deep within the bowels of the hugely anticipated sequel; Diablo 3. Set 20 years after the events of Diablo 2: Lords of Destruction, the story unfolds after a “star” shatters through the cathedral in which Deckard Cain is currently researching a possible resurgence of Diablo himself. Cain is thrown within the depths of the cathedral from the force of the impact, separating him from his niece, Leah.

This sets the tone for where you, the brave adventurer, steps into the limelight. Seeking the fallen star you start on a journey which will take you to the depths of hell. Which hero will you take? Well there’s a selection of five to choose from. The visceral Barbarian, master of arms and all things stompy, definitely the choice if you’re from the ‘Hulk Smash’ school of combat. You may wield a one handed weapon and a shield if you wish to be more of a defensive melee combatant, or go dual wield/two handed for maximum damage.
The mystical Witch Doctor, conjurer of minions and voodoo-esque abilities. Preferring to stay at range with a blow dart pipe or jars of spiders, summoning demon hounds and grotesque abominations. A class for the more cautious player.
The Mage calls upon the power of the arcane in order to cast powerful spells, slow your enemies and infuse yourself with diamond armor. Certain abilities will feel familiar to World of Warcraft mage players here with the ability to aoe freeze enemies with Frost Nova in order to make a quick escape.
The Monk relies upon speed and dexterity in order to defeat their foes with lightning quick attacks. Getting up close and personal, the Monk can pummel you into a daze and be gone as quick as the strikes they land upon you. With the ability to heal their allies, the Monk is a vital companion in your adventures.
Finally the Demon Hunter, utilising two resource pools; hatred and discipline, in order to unleash devastating ranged attacks. Either dual wielding hand crossbows or a powerful bow the demon hunter can snare, slow and obliterate any foe that crosses their path. With traps and agile acrobatics to get out of trouble, there’s not a lot the Demon Hunter cannot handle.

Diablo 3

The world of Sanctuary where all of this takes place definitely looks the part, Blizzard have done an outstanding job on the visuals of Diablo 3 which really helps draw you into the game and immerse you in this adventure. Varied enemies, detailed player and NPC models, it just oozes pure atmosphere from every orifice. The voice acting in the game is pretty decent too, though the Scottish blacksmith leaves a little to be desired, everyone else sounds authentic and believable.

You can plough through this game on ye olde lonesome if one desires such solitude but you’ll find more fun teaming up with a few friends and bashing some skulls together. Be wary though as all the enemies you encounter grow in strength the more friends join you in game, which is really a nice touch. Additionally you have multiple difficulty levels to play though which means more rare and exciting loots on the higher levels. Find something really special? Then place it on the in game auction house and see if you can get some gold for it, or if you’re feeling particularly lucky on a drop, you may auction it for real money. Yes thats right, you can auction your hard earned loots for actual real world currency. This is a new and bold move for Blizzard as it could potentially open the gates to a flood of “gold farmers” hammering the game in order to generate funds for their operations, however once an item has sold, the funds are deposited in your Blizzard Wallet which is visible in your Battle.Net account pages. If you wish to transfer this to PayPal then Blizzard will take a cut of the profit, it’s unsure how this will perform once the game has launched but certainly is an interesting idea to keep an eye on.

Diablo 3

Overall Diablo 3 is shaping up to be a massive success, accessible to newcomers and hardened dungeon crawlers alike, the game is set to take over millions of lives... and possibly be the sole reason relationships break up. Diablo 3 is set to ravage our PC’s on 15th May.

Wedgeh | 30th April, 2012
Kaostic's picture
I didn't play the BETA, I can't wait for the retail release though! 15 days!!
Angelfromabove's picture
Me and Wedge hammered that beta, completing it on each of the classes available, more than once sometimes lol!

Really looking forward to the release, didnt think I would enjoy D3 as much as I did so far as ive never played 1 or 2 and I couldnt get into other games of the same style (ie torchlight).

Thanks to the WoW annual pass, ill have the game the second of release, and for free too so ill be there with my monk asap
Kaostic's picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfromabove View Post
Me and Wedge hammered that beta, completing it on each of the classes available, more than once sometimes lol!

Really looking forward to the release, didnt think I would enjoy D3 as much as I did so far as ive never played 1 or 2 and I couldnt get into other games of the same style (ie torchlight).

Thanks to the WoW annual pass, ill have the game the second of release, and for free too so ill be there with my monk asap
Is there different realms like in WoW or do you start your own games like in Diablo 2? How does it all work? Would be good to get it so we can all play together if we want.
Angelfromabove's picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
Is there different realms like in WoW or do you start your own games like in Diablo 2? How does it all work? Would be good to get it so we can all play together if we want.
You start your own game and just either invite friends from within the game or start up a party first and then pick which chapter of the story you want to do.

There seems to just be area servers, Eu, US etc. For the Beta we had to play on the US server because the EU was down. I think all it really affects though is the real money auction house feature as it is essentially a single player game so no need for multiple servers like wow.

I could be wrong however lol
Kaostic's picture
Well if that's the case it sounds a lot like the old diablo.

You had offline characters and online characters and then you could join other peoples games or make your own game. Do you know if you have offline and online characters still or is it just one set you can take either off or on?

Yeah, it's essentially a single-player game that your friends can join in and as Wedge has mentioned in the review, as more friends join, the monsters get harder. Who wants to play with themselves anyhow
Wedgeh's picture
you have 1 persistent character rather than offline/online ones. Due to the RMAH thing they're implementing everything will be checked online so no naughty haxors give themselves some uber loots offline then try to flog it on the auction house.
Angelfromabove's picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
Well if that's the case it sounds a lot like the old diablo.

You had offline characters and online characters and then you could join other peoples games or make your own game. Do you know if you have offline and online characters still or is it just one set you can take either off or on?

Yeah, it's essentially a single-player game that your friends can join in and as Wedge has mentioned in the review, as more friends join, the monsters get harder. Who wants to play with themselves anyhow
I think that all of your characters are permanently online, I remember there being a bit of controversy over it when it was first announced.

And yeah, its a hell of a lot more fun playing with others, unlucky for those 'forever alone' types
Kaostic's picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfromabove View Post
I think that all of your characters are permanently online, I remember there being a bit of controversy over it when it was first announced.

And yeah, its a hell of a lot more fun playing with others, unlucky for those 'forever alone' types
The forever alone types can join random games, no
Angelfromabove's picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
The forever alone types can join random games, no
Ahhh they can indeed actually, theres a chat channel for your server in game too so they can make some friends/ troll the chat lol
Maggy's picture
worth noting there IS NO OFFLINE version.

you have to be on battlenet to play.
fazer's picture
Well I will be hammering the back doors on this game
Only 2 weeks left, so if you want to start a friends list, here is mine and Oli's name tag, ignore the ash crap unless you cant find right friend.
Fazer#2827 me :P
Striker#2845 Ol's
Kaostic's picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer View Post
Well I will be hammering the back doors on this game
Only 2 weeks left, so if you want to start a friends list, here is mine and Oli's name tag, ignore the ash crap unless you cant find right friend.
Fazer#2827 me :P
Striker#2845 Ol's
Should we start a new thread for this?
Wedgeh's picture
yep worth it.
Kaostic's picture
Has anybody pre-ordered this and from where? Sarah, I know that you've got it free from WoW but anybody else?

I'm deciding between Amazon and just getting it from Bliz directly.
Angelfromabove's picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
Has anybody pre-ordered this and from where? Sarah, I know that you've got it free from WoW but anybody else?

I'm deciding between Amazon and just getting it from Bliz directly.
I would go with Blizz direct tbh, especially as they are opening up the installer a few days before release so you can get into the game itself quicker come release date.
Wedgeh's picture
Buying from blizz directly will be your quickest way of getting it. Granted it may not be the cheapest but you can pre load the game now, the installer unlocks on the 14th and 00:01 on the 15th the game will go live, no where else can really compete with that.

Mine's with the WoW annual pass too.
Kaostic's picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedgeh View Post
Buying from blizz directly will be your quickest way of getting it. Granted it may not be the cheapest but you can pre load the game now, the installer unlocks on the 14th and 00:01 on the 15th the game will go live, no where else can really compete with that.

Mine's with the WoW annual pass too.
Yeah I suppose so! I'm tempted to take that Tuesday off work...
Maggy's picture
pre-ordered CE from amazon (yay i got in there!)

but also have a copy with my wow subs

best of both worlds!

GEIF ME DIACRACKABO!
Kaostic's picture
Just pre-ordered through Bliz.
Maggy's picture
Unlocks 14th may 4pm
Servers up 11pm


!!

(times are based on confirmed paris times)
Kaostic's picture
AWSUM SAUCEEEEEEEE
fazer's picture
I have been looking forward to this game maybe a bit too much, but I ain't going to try and log into the servers tonight
Ewok's picture
Call me crazy but I just never 'got' Diablo II. My friends raved about it so much that I went out and bought it but to me it was just 20 minutes of frantic mouse clicking followed by a further 40 minutes to de-clutter you inventory and not much fun in either task.
Kaostic's picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok View Post
Call me crazy but I just never 'got' Diablo II. My friends raved about it so much that I went out and bought it but to me it was just 20 minutes of frantic mouse clicking followed by a further 40 minutes to de-clutter you inventory and not much fun in either task.
Diablo II was amazing. I loved that you had to play tetris with your inventory and couldn't just chuck everything in there.
The clicks had to be strategic mixed with keys, just like any game!

I've taken tomorrow off and have little intention of sleeping tonight.
Kaostic's picture
I spent many an hour seeing this:



and hearing this: MOOO MOoo Mmaoo mooo
fazer's picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
I spent many an hour seeing this:



and hearing this: MOOO MOoo Mmaoo mooo

LOL....I had an internationally recognised illness from playing this game too much:
Diablo Elbow....much like tennis elbow
Dead Alive's picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok View Post
Call me crazy but I just never 'got' Diablo II. My friends raved about it so much that I went out and bought it but to me it was just 20 minutes of frantic mouse clicking followed by a further 40 minutes to de-clutter you inventory and not much fun in either task.
I wouldn't say I never got it, I enjoyed Diablo II for a while, but my favourite of the genre is actually one of its rip-off's - Titan Quest. That I've played for countless hours, Diablo II, around 30.

I'm not actually remotely interested in picking up Diablo III in a hurry (if at all), I'm standing by waiting for Grim Dawn mainly, and Path of Exile instead.
Maggy's picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
I spent many an hour seeing this:



and hearing this: MOOO MOoo Mmaoo mooo

omg ive had dreams abot mo mooo momom o mooo *squeal* momomo moo mo *squeal*
Kaostic's picture
Work, HURRY UP.

Other items from around the web